Help finding my Dad's Records
Create Post
    Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Help finding my Dad's Records

My dad enlisted in 1943 as a private and went through the college program and became an officer in 1944. I know he went to Guadacanal, after the battle, and that he was in the initial landings at Okinawa. After that he was sent to China. Sometime in 1946 he had an honorable discharge to the reserves.
    I have a lot of stuff from the letters he sent to his Mom and LOTS of pictures he brought home. But he never mentioned Division, Regiment, Battalion, or company.

I requested info from the national archives. They sent be a ton of stuff but it stops right before he is commissioned as an officer in the US. Note it also looks like his service number changed (this was not in the archives stuff but I have his reserve commission to Capt. and the number is different there).

He never talked about the War except for the fun stuff. We would ask and he would only repeat the fun stories. He is deceased now.

After seeing the HBO series " The Pacific" I feel a need to better understand where he was at and what he went though. I would love to know what group of Marines he was with but the archives data does not have that info.

Any ideas of where else to look?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    [quote=bobkeenan;657739]My dad enlisted in 1943 as a private and went through the college program and became an officer in 1944. I know he went to Guadacanal, after the battle, and that he was in the initial landings at Okinawa. After that he was sent to China. Sometime in 1946 he had an honorable discharge to the reserves.
    I have a lot of stuff from the letters he sent to his Mom and LOTS of pictures he brought home. But he never mentioned Division, Regiment, Battalion, or company.

bobkeenan, we have a site rule that requires a profile be created before posting. If you could knock off that profile, I know some Marine will be along and happily help you out.

Credits
    Savings
    Done!

[quote=Zulu 36;657745]
    Quote Originally Posted by bobkeenan View Post
    My dad enlisted in 1943 as a private and went through the college program and became an officer in 1944. I know he went to Guadacanal, after the battle, and that he was in the initial landings at Okinawa. After that he was sent to China. Sometime in 1946 he had an honorable discharge to the reserves.

bobkeenan, we have a site rule that requires a profile be created before posting. If you could knock off that profile, I know some Marine will be along and happily help you out.

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    [quote=bobkeenan;657755]Done!

Bob

Were you able to find his DD-214? If you did there should be quite a bit info. Also, if you can put together some info in a small quantity, you might want to contact the Marine Corps Museum in Quantico. They have an extensive archive.

Best of luck

Dan

Credits
    Savings
    Images

I requested info from the national archives. They sent be a ton of stuff but it stops right before he is commissioned as an officer in the US. Note it also looks like his service number changed (this was not in the archives stuff but I have his reserve commission to Capt. and the number is different there).

He never talked about the War except for the fun stuff. We would ask and he would only repeat the fun stories. He is deceased now.

After seeing the HBO series " The Pacific" I feel a need to better understand where he was at and what he went though. I would love to know what group of Marines he was with but the archives data does not have that info.

Any ideas of where else to look?

I suggest re-submitting a request for records using just your father's officer service number and info. The service number probably did change once he was commissioned as officers had a seperate number system.

I just sent in for my father's records and had to send two separate requests; one, for his USMC enlisted service, and the other for his US Army Reserve officer service.

Credits
    Savings
    [quote=MOS1310;657761]
    Done!

Bob

Were you able to find his DD-214? If you did there should be quite a bit info. Also, if you can put together some info in a small quantity, you might want to contact the Marine Corps Museum in Quantico. They have an extensive archive.

Best of luck

Dan
    No DD214. I checked the internet on that and they did not start the DD214 until 1952. I guess there was an equivalent but I do not have that. I have the letters, lots of stuff from the archive till he was commissioned, and a reserve promotion to Captain.

I will check out the museum though... thanks.

Bob Keenan

Credits
    Savings
    [quote=bobkeenan;657772]
    Quote Originally Posted by MOS1310 View Post

No DD214. I checked the internet on that and they did not start the DD214 until 1952. I guess there was an equivalent but I do not have that. I have the letters, lots of stuff from the archive till he was commissioned, and a reserve promotion to Captain.

I will check out the museum though... thanks.

Bob Keenan

Bob

Another day to learn something. Did not know the DD-214 has not been around forever

Try this "WD AGO" (War Department Adjutant General) Forms They were used from 1941-1950. The DD-214 replaced this form. And Zulu 36 was correct, he would have two SN's

Dan

What you are looking for is W.D.,A.G.O. Form No.55 April 30,1941 instead of a DD214.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    What you are looking for is W.D.,A.G.O. Form No.55 April 30,1941 instead of a DD214.
    Thanks Dan, had the form but not the number

There you go Bob, should be of some help!

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Zulu 36 View Post
    I suggest re-submitting a request for records using just your father's officer service number and info. The service number probably did change once he was commissioned as officers had a seperate number system.

I just sent in for my father's records and had to send two separate requests; one, for his USMC enlisted service, and the other for his US Army Reserve officer service.
    Good idea... Just did it. Thanks. You would think that they could do this. I called in to the customer service and they claim that it would not matter if the service number changes because they check the name. But I betcha that your idea will work. We will see in about 6 weeks.

Thread Information